Abbreviation: BRUC (J. F. Christ, 1947)
Word length: 10,761 (C. E. Lauterbach, 1960)
First published: Strand Magazine, December 1908; Collier's Weekly, December 12, 1908
- What do you think was Holmes’ reason for not telling Watson the truth about his brother’s profession when they first met?
- In response to the suggestion of his name on the next honours list, Holmes says, “I play the game for the game’s own sake.” What do you make of Holmes comparing solving crime, often murder cases, to a game?
- Mycroft Holmes urges Sherlock to “use his powers” to solve this crime. What does this say about the dynamic between the brothers?
- It’s mentioned often in this story that this crime is different from others Holmes has solved because it involves the government, and Holmes is “serving his country.” What role does patriotism serve in this story?
- Given the time period, what could have been the consequences of spies getting their hands on submarine plans?