Abbreviation: EMPT (J. F. Christ, 1947)
Word length: 8,761 (C. E. Lauterbach, 1960)
First published: Collier's, September 26, 1903; Strand Magazine, October 1903
The "resurrection" of Sherlock Holmes in this tale has led some scholars to compare it with the story of Easter, others to identify Holmes as a "solar myth". To what degree does our admiration of Sherlock Holmes depend on his similarity to other gods and heroes whose stories are deep in our consciousness? And to what degree does he really resemble them, anyway?
Discover Stories Online
- Britannica: Catullus, coal tar, Tibet
- Hounds Summary of The Empty House
- Seven Things You Didn't Know About Tibet
- Sherlockian.Net links about Professor Moriarty . . . about "The Final Problem"
- Sidney Paget illustrations with commentary
- Story summary from McMurdo's Camp
- Text used to demonstrate typesetting formats
Baritsu, or Bartitsu
- Bartitsu Forum
- DVD: Bartitsu, the lost martial art
- Self-defence with a walking stick — baritsu?
- The Bartitsu Society
- Wall Street Journal, May 2013