Abbreviation: GOLD (J. F. Christ, 1947)
Word length: 8,989 (C. E. Lauterbach, 1960)
First published: Strand Magazine, July 1904; Collier's Weekly, October 29, 1904
- What made Watson believe that the case of the golden pince-nez piqued more interest than that of Holmes’s previous cases?
- Why do you think Watson did not mention the Yoxley case to Holmes before Hopkins brought it up to him?
- If Holmes had read up about the Yoxley case before Hopkins brought it up to him, would Holmes’s investigation have foreshadowed a better or worse outcome?
- Before arriving at Yoxley Old Place, how effective was the rough plan of the property provided by Hopkins?
- Would Holmes have still solved the case if the suspect hadn’t accidentally left behind the golden pince-nez?
- Why do you think Watson and Holmes decide to fulfill the request for Anna to head to the Russian Embassy to free Alexis?
- Why did Holmes smoke so many cigarettes while interrogating Professor Coram?