Abbreviation: 3STU (J. F. Christ, 1947)
Word length: 6,508 (C. E. Lauterbach, 1960)
First published: Strand Magazine, June 1904; Collier's, September 24, 1904
- Why was Mr. Soames so desperate to get Holmes’ help, rather than the police’s?
- What did Holmes mean when he said “Not one of your cases, Watson— mental, not physical”?
- What of Gilchrist’s physical appearance and abilities play into the case? How did Holmes use these qualities to solve the case?
- Did you think at any point that Bannister’s grief was disproportionate to the situation, or were you convinced by his performance? If you were suspicious that his grief was over-the-top, what led you to this conclusion?
- Did you have a main suspect out of the three students? If so, who, and why?
- Who had the most to lose if the situation were to come to light? The students or Mr. Soames? Why?