Abbreviation: LAST (J. F. Christ, 1947)
Word length: 6,126 (C. E. Lauterbach, 1960)
First published: Strand Magazine, September 1917; Collier's Weekly, September 22, 1917
- What roles are Holmes and Watson playing in the beginning of this story?
- Why did Holmes come out of retirement to solve this case?
- How does Holmes outsmart Van Bork? Who assists him, and how?
- What is Holmes’ ultimate objective in this case? Why does this require him to disguise himself?
- What are the stakes in this case? What does Holmes risk happening if he does not pull this off successfully?
- What is the “east wind” Holmes is referring to?
Discover Stories Online
- Bee Culture
- German Naval Operations, August 1914
- Hounds Summary of His Last Bow
- International Naval Signals (poster)
- 'Sherlock in Chicago,' by John McConnell
- Story summary from McMurdo's Camp