Abbreviation: MAZA (J. F. Christ, 1947)
Word length: 5,716 (C. E. Lauterbach, 1960)
First published: Strand Magazine, October 1921; Hearst's International Magazine, November 1921
A note on origins
"The Mazarin Stone" is an adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle's play "The Crown Diamond", first performed in May 1921.
It is well known that "The Mazarin Stone" was written first as a play ("The Crown Diamond") before being turned into a short story. What advantages does an author have in creating a Holmes for the stage that are missing in the creation of a Holmes for the page?
Discover Stories Online
- A peek at the manuscript for this story
- Crown Diamond manuscript
- FRT Radio Players "The Crown Diamond"
- Hounds Summary of The Mazarin Stone
- How Diamonds Work
- More about the Crown Diamond manuscript
- Story summary from McMurdo's Camp
- "The Crown Diamond", on which this tale is based