Abbreviation: MUSG (J. F. Christ, 1947)
Word length: 7,632 (C. E. Lauterbach, 1960)
First published: Strand Magazine, 1893; Harper's Weekly, May 13, 1893
- What does Reginald Musgrave mean when he calls Brunton a “Don Juan”? How does this behavior affect what happens to Brunton in the end?
- Why does Rachel Howells burst into hysterics when asked about Brunton?
- Why do you think Reginald Musgrave chose not to evict Brunton right away, instead of allowing him to stay for a week and leave on his own terms? How does Brunton try to repay this act?
- Do you think Brunton truly wanted to leave on his own terms for the sake of his reputation, or do you think he just wanted an excuse to stay longer and perform the Musgrave ritual?
- How does Holmes manage to solve/perform the Musgrave ritual, despite being hung up a few times?
- What does Rachel Howells throw into the mere and why?
- What is Reginald Musgrave’s connection to Charles the Second?