Abbreviation: NAVA (J. F. Christ, 1947)
Word length: 12,701 (C. E. Lauterbach, 1960)
First published: Strand Magazine, October and November 1893 (two installments); Harper's Weekly, October 14 and 21, 1893
- To Holmes, do you think Percy Phelps’ sudden ability to remember details of the night 9 weeks ago would have been suspicious? Why or why not?
- Would the commissionaire have witnessed Joseph fleeing with the document?
- If so, why didn’t she give him away?
- Why might Watson have been reluctant to suspect Lord Holdhurst despite Holmes’ observations?
- Why would Joseph have carried the knife into the bedroom if he assumed Percy was still bedridden? Do you think Joseph would have killed Percy?
- What role, if any, did Annie have in the theft and scheme?
Discover Stories Online
- Classic Literature Library
- Mr. Sherlock Holmes
- Page By Page Books
- The Literature Page
- The Literature Network