Abbreviation: SOLI (J. F. Christ, 1947)
Word length: 7,908 (C. E. Lauterbach, 1960)
First published: Collier's, December 26, 1903; Strand Magazine, January 1904
- Why did Holmes take a break in his incredibly busy schedule to investigate this case? What convinced him to do so?
- What role does Miss Smith’s romantic life play in this story? How does the story unfold around it?
- Did you notice any indicators that the cyclist is maybe someone Miss Smith knows before Holmes highlighted them? What were they?
- Does Holmes regret telling Watson he did a poor job of investigating?
- It seems there has been a breakdown in loyalty among the three men who are in cahoots to abduct Miss Smith. What lends evidence to this?