Abbreviation: VEIL (J. F. Christ, 1947)
Word length: 4,499 (C. E. Lauterbach, 1960) the shortest of the 60 tales
First published: Liberty, January 22, 1927; Strand Magazine, February 1927
- “But the most terrible human tragedies were often involved in those cases which brought him the fewest personal opportunities, and it is one of these which I now desire to record.” What did Watson mean in this passage when he was talking about Sherlock Holmes?
- Why is it a problem for Watson to choose but not to find a case to publish among society?
- Why do you think Mrs. Ronder sent Mrs. Merrilow to fetch Holmes for her?
- What was the reason Mrs. Merrilow came to Holmes in the first place despite being able to receive rent from Mrs. Ronder?
- Who was Mrs. Ronder referring to when she screamed out “Coward!” during the lion attack?